What is Pitta Dosha (Ayurvedic Body Type)?
Pitta dosha is one of the three predominant types of constitutions that are used as a primary benchmark to assess a person in Ayurveda. To get a basic understanding of doshas, read our post on Doshas.
So what does it mean when we say, “You are Pitta Dosha?” It simply means you have dominant qualities of fire and water in your personality. For example, when an individual's personality is more so fire, their skin is usually oily, intellect is sharp, their skin and temperament is hot, and their skin is fleshy. Having a pitta-predominant body type means that these qualities express themselves generously throughout your mental, emotional, and physical makeup. Physically, Pitta types are of average stature, have medium-sized eyes and a piercing glance; they are muscular and have a thirst for action. Mentally they are sharp, intelligent, easily angered, well-structured and concentrate exceptionally well.
When Pitta is in balance, their blood will be healthy, and the acid secretions in their intestines and stomach optimal for digestion. Optimal digestion, sound judgment, and discernment are functions of balanced Pitta.
When the Pitta dosha goes out of balance, inflammation in the body may occur. It can also manifest in the form of the following illnesses: gastritis, stomach and intestinal ulcers, acne, eczema and other skin diseases such as furuncles and abscesses, as well as liver infections.
Pitta can be kept in check by:
- Making lifestyle choices suited to Pitta.
- Eating foods suited to Pitta such as foods that are sweet, bitter, and astringent in taste. It is best to avoid foods that are pungent, sour, salty or too hot.
- Keeping skin nourished with light Ayurvedic oils like Coconut, Almond and olive oils.
- Consuming Pitta balancing botanical herbs like Triphala, Gotu kola and Brahmi (Bacopa).
Knowing your constitution is easy, by way of a simple quiz and answering a few questions.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.