What is Vata Dosha (Ayurvedic Body Type)?
Vata dosha is one of the three predominant types of constitutions that is used as a primary benchmark to assess a person in Ayurveda. To get a basic understanding of doshas, read our post on Doshas.
So what does it mean when we say, "You are Vata Dosha?" It simply means you have the dominant qualities of air and ether in your personality, such as dry, light, cool, rough, subtle, and mobile. So, having a Vata-predominant body type means that these qualities express themselves generously throughout your mental, emotional, and physical makeup. Vata body types are usually light and have a smaller frame.
Vata personality types would usually be cold, suffer from dryness, are creative and energetic, like to multitask, have trouble staying focussed on one task etc. They sleep lightly, and their digestion can be sensitive. When Vatas are in balance, they are energetic, creative, and flexible. They also take initiative and are lively conversationalists. When unbalanced, they are prone to worry, anxiousness and often suffer from insomnia. When they feel overwhelmed or stressed, they blame themselves first.
Vata can be kept in check by:
- Making lifestyle choices suited to Vata.
- Eating foods suited to Vata, such as sweet and sour foods. It is best to avoid pungent and astringent tastes.
- Keeping skin nourished with Ayurvedic oils like sesame, avocado, almond and castor oils.
- Consuming Vata balancing botanical herbs like Triphala, Ashwagandha and Brahmi (Bacopa).
Knowing your constitution is easy, by way of a simple quiz and answering a few questions.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.